Monday, August 17, 2009

A smile

My street has been under construction for at least the past year. Sidewalks, water pipes, curb restructuring and it probably will not end until the city gives it a new hair-do. With all the holes and bumps that are being repaired they have added to the confusion by placing odd walkways that wind through the mess bordered by fencing with the green tarps. I assume this is to keep the secret of how beautiful it will eventually become.

As I was maneuvering my way through the onslaught of make-shift ramps and sandbags (apparently used to weigh down the fences, but the sand is never in them and the fences are often toppled, so I am not sure as to their success) I spy a man in a wheelchair coming toward me. Instinctively, I look for a spot to stand aside so he can pass with ease. I smile to him as he approaches and sees me plastered to the tarp-wrapped fence. He smiles back and says, "You keep moving, son, they have created quite an obstacle course here. If I can't make it past you, I'll probably fall in a hole or get my wheel caught on a fence post. Whatever happens, it's an adventure and I'm having fun."

As I slide past him, he begins to whistle a tune of which I am not familiar. A big smile comes over my face about two feet past and I realize, he just made my day. In a life full of obstructions, a man that has faced many more than me, showed me that the best way to get through them is to enjoy it. I will never know his name, but the smile he gave me will be in my memory forever.

No comments: